May 25, 2002

4.22.2002
New York City.
This morning at about 10:30 my sister Kaly called me and offered me her pair of tickets to the Murray Perahia concert at Carnegie Hall for the afternoon. I gave her my typical answer - yes - and then she asked me if I knew how to get to Carnegie Hall. "Practice, practice, practice," I said. But either Kaly didn't think that was funny or she was ignoring me so she just gave me directions to take the N/R train to 57th & 7th.

Murray Perahia is a phenomal pianist and a passionate performer. The concert was so amazing and so wonderful, I was beside myself. I sat in one of Kaly's 2 seats on the balcony level where I had a great view of Mr. Perahia's hands on the keys and of the inside of the piano, an awesome spectacle. Then Kaly, who was sitting below in the orchestra seats with her friend David, had to leave at intermission to catch an LSO (London Symphony Orchestra) concert at Lincoln Center, so I got lucky and saw the second half of the show from the orchestra seats. Experiencing the recital from two different perspectives in the red plush seats of the Isaac Stern Auditorium was really a great way to spend my rainy Sunday afternoon. We were even treated to an additional three Chopin encores. If you have never heard Murray Perahia, you ought to. He is absolutely spectacular. I love New York.

No comments: